Skip to main content

Line-Learning tips


Three quick tips – there will be more.

1. Understand
Following on from my last post about the Audition that Went Wrong, sadly not a hit West-End Play but an opportunity that I didn’t play well, I moved on quickly to thinking about how to move forward.

I decided that I needed a challenge. I knew that drying in the audition wasn’t related to any general ability to learn lines – I’m fine with that usually - I explain in the previous post what I think happened there. But it had happened and so our old constantly-waiting-in-the-wings pal Mr Nag poked his head out and mumbled, ‘Well yes but what if you’re just not up to it any more. You are getting on a bit you know.’

The challenge I set myself was to learn a monologue from scratch and record it. This would put Mr N back in his box and give me something positive and encouraging to work on.

I enjoyed learning the role and finding a way into it. This is one of the joys of acting. Yes, learning lines can be a mechanical and tedious business but when you realise that you’re not learning words but developing a role, it becomes a much more creative process; and creativity feeds itself -another wonder if you choose to see it that way because the act of being creative is so fulfilling and energising. It becomes fuel for a life beyond existence.

In my case the process of working on the script reminded me of all the little tips and tricks I’ve developed for learning lines, and helped me to find some new ones too. I don’t claim that they’re original, neither are they a fully formed process, they are just grab ‘em and use ‘em techniques and, in the creative way of things, they led to this blog.

You’ve already heard number’s one and two:
1. Understand the role and what you’re saying.
2. Challenge yourself with regular line-learning, just for the sake and fun of it.

3. Line learning: pictures
I got stuck on one phrase, ‘Make sure that…’ This often happens because it’s a kind of low-emotion, minimal-content interstitial phrase. Its not the dramatic heart of the matter, just a precursor to saying something. I found myself substituting ‘Be sure that…’ and ‘You have to…’ amongst others. Does this matter? Maybe, maybe not depending on the director’s take on accuracy v meaning but it certainly does matter if you find yourself searching for the right phrase and so losing your place, your character or both. It is best to get it sorted early.

In the often surprising and wonderful way that creativity works, I found myself dredging up an amusing childhood memory: I entered a sandcastle building competition on holiday one year and, being space mad I decided to sculpt a lunar landscape. Bad choice because at the judging it looked like nothing more than disorganised piles of sand and caused my family no-end of amusement! Later I watched it washed away by the sea. So it was a ‘make’ and it was on the ‘shore’ – make sure! It was enough of a strong memory and a bizarre enough link that it stuck in my mind and made that part unforgettable.

Another line was ‘watch out’ which might have been ‘look out’ or ‘be sure that’. A small picture of a watch scribbled on the script at that cue soon got that one nailed.

So pictures, mental or sketched can help you learn and remove that nagging ‘have I got this right’?

4. Line learning: gestures
Another trick is to find a way of prompting the first line of a speech or paragraph causing me to remember the rest of that block of text.

One paragraph of my monologue began with ‘So you…’ That’s easily missed because, as any grammar checker will indicate, you often don’t need ‘So’ in a sentence. I use exaggerated gestures to help me learn some lines. In this case I mimed sewing a piece of sailcloth with a giant needle (I’ve never done that but all you need is imagination), then jabbing the needle at someone in a ‘hey you’ gesture. Sew… You. That soon gets fixed into ‘So you…’ and the rest of the block flows on for there.

5. Check-out apps.
I use the free version of Line Learn, there’s also Line learner, Script Rehearser, Run Lines and many more. They offer a variety of script inputting and prompting approaches which can be helpful.

Today’s take-aways:
·         Make line-learning a regular practice, part of your actor’s toolbox
·         Understand before you learn
·         Develop your own playful and creative approaches




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Am I any good?’

‘Am I any good?’ The title of this blog is in inverted commas because it typifies a question I’m often asked in one form or another by people I’m mentoring or at my Acting Confident workshops. The workshop is focussed on confidence for auditions and as we talk amidst the various exercises and role-play scenarios, someone will ask the question, either with courage directly or in a roundabout way as in ‘there are times when I doubt my ability’ or ‘sometimes I think I’m not cut out to be an actor’. It’s a question I used to ask myself – when I wasn’t an actor. It was one of those blockers that stopped me taking any steps to find out. I don’t think I ever verbalised it, either in conversation or internal monologue but I think it was always there in some form or other. My attempts to answer the unspoken question was to seek approval from others. On the whole it didn’t come. I did a great course at the Actors Centre on film and TV acting. It was run by someone who’d had a regular role i

Audition Tips 2 – Reader, I fluffed it

What just happened? If you’ve read my other posts you’ll get the sense of an upbeat, positive attitude with a sprinkling of gung-ho bravado and a bit of self-help-book-ism stirred in for good measure. Today I am more reflective. I signed an NDA before the audition so let’s just say that it was a prestigious one, a step up for me to a role with a well-known casting agent for a well-known director. I got my agent’s message on the day after filming for another job. I was on a roll having landed two jobs that month, both of which had unexpectedly brought invitations to more work; and then this exciting audition. Not so much the icing on the cake as the opportunity to take the cake home and have another delivered soon with extra goodies. There were a couple of lines to learn overnight – no problem. I had them by bedtime, had them when I woke up and just checked on the train on my way. As always, I arrived early and found the audition location. I was called early and, you know